Moving to NG9-1-1 is inevitable. But there is some confusion around what it is and how it works. Here are some common misconceptions:
- Moving into NG9-1-1 is, no doubt about it, an expensive effort.
- Our current equipment has everything we need, for now.
- All this Next Generation technology sounds too good to be true.
- There’s just no way to get this service without sacrificing something on our side or running into the same issues we’ve had in the past with 9-1-1.
- The process of upgrading will be burdensome.
- We will have to figure it out by ourselves.
- If we upgrade now, we’ll immediately have to start processing video and other data.
These fears and concerns are valid. As you work toward implementing Next Generation 9-1-1 networks, assessing progress and preparing for the future can pose challenges. We know that you can smoothly transition from legacy solutions to customized NG9-1-1 without burden or sacrifice. We also know that sometimes just knowing where to start is the hardest part. So today, we would like to share an industry resource to help you on this journey!
The tool, a Next Generation 9-1-1 self-assessment, was created by industry stakeholders and government leaders and has been made available to you at no charge on the 911.gov website.
Once complete, the assessment can be downloaded into an excel file or exported into a PDF, and is shared only with you to help you document your current capabilities, and outline the next steps in the process of transitioning to NG9-1-1.
We hope you find this tool beneficial in your journey. While this assessment may not answer all the questions you have about NG9-1-1, it will at least give you an idea of where to start!
If you would like to discuss NG9-1-1 misconceptions or need help with the self-assessment tool, we’ve got you covered. Our dedicated industry professionals are available by email, phone, or in-person so that you don’t have to go at it alone. It is our pleasure to assist!